The word Tonkatsu, is a combination of the Japanese word ‘Ton’ for Pork and katsu (katsuretsu) for Cutlet. A Japanese take on a western dish.
Cutlet or Schnitzel or breaded pork chops? Same thing different name.
For the Tonkatsu, Japanese Panko (bread crumbs) are used in place of regular bread crumbs. Not forgetting raw cabbage served on the side as well as a tonkatsu sauce.
Tonkatsu (Pork Cutlet)
500 gm pork loin
1 cup Panko
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon honey
Tonkatsu/Cutlet : same as in my Schnitzel recipe
- Remove any membranes that are on the pork loin. Slice into about 1cm (1/2″) thick.
- Place the flour, beaten egg & bread crumbs into 3 separate bowls.
- Flatten the slices of pork. You can use a meat tenderizer tool like I did to flatten the meat. Or you can place each piece of meat in a plastic bag or between 2 layers of cling wrap. Pound with a rolling pin or something heavier to flatten the meat.
- Once all the slices are flattened, next step is to coat the meat.
- Place flour, egg, bread crumbs in a row as this will make it easier for the coating process.
- Take a piece of flattened meat. Coat it with the flour. Then coat with the egg and then the bread crumbs. The flour helps to keep the moisture in the meat when cooking. The egg helps the bread crumbs to stick to the meat.
- Place the coated meat on a plate or platter.
- Repeat with the rest of the meat. If you run out of either the flour, egg or bread crumbs before you have coated all the slices of meat, just add some more to the bowls.
- Once you have finished coating all the slices, cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes for when you are ready to cook.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (400ºF). Arrange the meat on a baking dish large enough to hold all the slices.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Served with sides of shredded raw cabbage, cherry tomatoes with Japanese short grain rice.
Method: Tonkatsu sauce
Whisk all the ingredients together and drizzle over the cooked cutlets before serving