Another great way to use up any leftover chicken from a roast dinner!
Something easy something light and quick to cook for 2 persons or more. It all depends on what you have on hand, in the fridge or what you feel like adding either for a colourful dish or some healthy additions. Choices are really up to you.
Most of the ingredients I have used in this recipe are from leftovers, unused bits of vegetables, etc. Take a look at what you have handy and you could come up with something a lot more than you thought you had.
Chicken Pasta Stir-fry
1-1/2 to 2 cups of penne (pasta)
1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, chunked or shredded to bite size pieces
Handful of shallots (about the size of an onion’s worth)
1/2 zuchini, halved & sliced
4 mushrooms, stem removed & sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoon pasta sauce
2 tablespoon chilli sauce
1 teaspoon sugar (optional or if not using sweet chilli sauce)
Handful of roasted cashews or any type of nuts or none, crushed (for garnish)
Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to instructions. I prefer my pasta soft not al dente. Soft pasta is great for stir-fries & persons who have problems with the teeth, like myself.
- Slice the shallots or onions as thin as you can.
- Once the pasta is cooked, leave in the pot with the water until you are ready to use.
- Heat up a big pot or saucepan (enough to hold your pasta & ingredients).
- Fry the onion/shallots & garlic.
- Add the chicken & vegetables and fry till the vegetables are soft.
- Add the pasta, pasta sauce chilli sauce & sugar.
- Stir & fry to coat the ingredients & allow to heat throughout.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with some sliced or torn sweet basil leaves & the crushed cashews.