Yet another Chicken Pie. The difference is the addition of Turmeric for it’s numerous health benefits and not forgetting an all important component of a good PIE – the crust.
This shortcrust pastry recipe that I keep falling back on has become my favourite. Light and easy to whip up.
Turmeric Chicken Pie
400g plain (all-purpose) flour
200g unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoon cold water
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or chunks OR 2 uncooked (raw) chicken breasts, cubed
1 stalk celery
1/2 cup chicken stock or 1 stock cube
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon black mustard seed
salt & pepper
Preparing the Filling:
- Peel the carrot & potatoes. Cut into small bite size chunks.
- Peel & dice the onion to small chunks.
- Dice the celery to small chunks.
- If using uncooked (raw) chicken breasts, cut into small chunks.
- Fry the onion, mustard seeds & celery in some oil in a heated saucepan or frying pan.
- Add the carrot & potatoes when the onion has turned opaque or when the mustard seeds start popping.
- Add the chicken, stir to mix.
- Add the chicken stock, turmeric, bay leaf & herbs. Add additional water to just cover the ingredients.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Mix the cornstarch with some water. Add to the chicken mixture only when the carrot & potatoes are soft. Mix and allow to come to the boil & thicken before turning off the heat. Allow to cool.
Preparing the Pie Crust:
- Mix the salt into the flour in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into cubes and rub into the flour.
- Make sure the mixture is crumbly like bread crumbs and all the butter has been mixed in, no lumps.
- Add the cold water into the butter/flour mixture. Swirl around the bowl till it all comes together into a dough.
- Separate into 2 portions.
- Grease a 10″ pie/overproof dish.
- Roll out a portion of the dough on a piece of parchment or baking paper to bigger than the size of your dish. Flip the pastry shell into the dish, spread it into the dish using your fingers. Make sure the dough touches the whole area of the dish and has some overhang.
- Roll out the other portion of dough. You can leave it in a circle or try to make a lattice.
Putting it all together:
- Fill the pie dish with the filling.
- Top with the 2nd portion of the rolled out dough.
- Press the edges of the dough (1st & 2nd portions) together with your fingers. You can use a fork to press the edges together to seal. Trim off any excess dough and discard or use as a decoration for your pie.
- Cut some slits on the top of the pie.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 200ºC (400ºF) for 25-30 minutes or when the pie turns golden brown.
- You can use an egg wash to brush the top of the pie for a ‘shiny’ look, if you wish.
One thought on “Turmeric Chicken Pie”