I don’t know about you but it seems that I am always wondering what to do with leftovers and how to turn them into something different and appealing. Waste not what you can recycle.
Food recycling has become a trend in my home. What do you do with leftover Schweinshaxe (Roasted Pork Knuckle) ?Sandwich? Wrap? With Pasta? Pizza topping? Casserole?
I have decided that we will be having Pulled Pork burgers tonight with the leftovers. Do I use the Tonkatsu (Pork Cutlet) sauce in place of a BBQ sauce or 5-Spice Asian style or a mix? I went with the fusion and I hope you will like it as much as we did!
Spiced Pulled Pork
Leftovers of Schweinshaxe / Roasted Pork Knuckle (including bone)
Leftover of Schweinshaxe gravy
1 can / bottle 330ml apple cider
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 star anise
4 tablespoon brown sugar
- Put all ingredients into a pot. The bone from the pork knuckle will add some flavour during stewing.
- Bring to a boil before turning it down to a simmer, lid on.
- If the liquid doesn’t completely cover the meat, turn the meat around during cooking.
- Keep simmering until the liquids have almost evaporated. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the bone, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves & star anise as much as you are able to.
- Using 2 forks or whatever makes it easier for you to pull apart the meat.
- Make sure to toss the meat in the caramelized gravy. Let the meat sit for a little to allow it to absorb the flavours.
- Serve as a filling in a burger or hot dog bun.