My usual quick breakfast fix that combines many health benefits including low blood sugar, constipation and possibly IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) was a combination of quick cooking oats, mashed banana, dark cocoa powder & flaked almonds.
Portion control is key in assisting us in avoiding the unneeded side effects of foods that we consume in our daily meals.
I came up with this ‘brownie’ as I did indeed get tired of consuming the same breakfast for days on end. This recipe reflects the texture of the brownie that I prefer, perhaps a little on the cakey side and not as dense as some of you might prefer.
Breakfast Brownie (Vegan)
2 bananas, mashed
1/4 cup instant oatmeal
1/2 cup hot water
1 tablespoon flaxmeal
1 1/2 cups all-purpose/plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon dark cocoa powder
3 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup flaked almonds
- Soak the oatmeal & flaxmeal in the hot water. Allow the oatmeal to expand.
- Mash the peanut butter with the bananas.
- Place flour, salt, baking powder, cocoa powder, almonds & sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir to mix well.
- Add in the oil, oatmeal/flaxmeal & mashed bananas into the dry ingredients. M
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (375ºF)
- Grease a brownie tray or a 9×13″ baking tray. Line with parchment or greaseproof or baking paper with a slight overhang
- Pour the brownie mixture into the tray, smooth top and bake in oven for about 25 minutes.
- Let it sit in the tray for 5 minutes before cutting into 12 slices before removing the brownies from the tray. Pull up the overhang of the baking paper to lift the brownie off the tray.
NOTE: If you prefer a denser brownie, just reduce the amount of flour to 1 cup.