Do you struggle with deciding what to put on the dinner table on a daily basis? I do. If it is not pizza, then it’s some chicken dish or cottage pie or omelettes.
Last night’s recommendation was omelettes. When there are only the two of you at home, there is just so much you can do with what you have in the fridge, if it is getting a little bare, and what either of you feel like eating.
Instead of the usual omelettes, I thought I would make a savory soufflé to ‘puff’ up the usual fare. I am in a habit of buying a small ham, slicing it and freezing the slices. This is handy for when I want a quick ingredient to throw into my fried rice or Hawaiian pizza or whatever.
So with asparagus in the fridge & ham slices in the freezer, it was a no brainer to use these ingredients for my soufflé.
Asparagus & Ham Soufflé
1/2 cup sliced asparagus
1/2 cup diced ham (smoked or honey baked ham)
1/4 cup sweet potato flour (or plain flour)
1 1/3 cup (300ml) full cream milk
salt & pepper
- Butter a oven proof dish generously on the bottom & sides. I used an 8″/20cm dish. Leave in the fridge while you prepare the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (375ºF)
- Separate egg yolks & whites. Place egg whites in a mixing bowl.
- Stir the flour into the milk in a saucepan. Mix well so that the flour is dissolved. This is a quick way of making a white sauce vs the proper way of making a white or bechamel sauce.
- Cook on low to medium heat, stirring all the time. Cook till the sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Add some of the sauce into the egg yolks, a tablespoon at a time. Mix the sauce to the egg yolks till it blends together.
- Bring the contents in the saucepan to slow heating up. Add the egg yolks mixture slowly to the heated up sauce.
- Stir to mix. Remove from heat when the mixture starts to clump. Repeat until the sauce has thickened more and might still be a little lumpy.
- Beat the egg whites till soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Use the whisk to beat the white sauce till it is smooth.
- Add a third of the egg whites into the white sauce. Fold to mix.
- Add the white sauce into the mixing bowl containing the egg whites. Mix well.
- Remove cold dish from fridge.
- Add the asparagus & ham pieces into the soufflé mixture. Give a quick stir before pouring the contents into the dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in the oven.