I was under the impression that the Romesco Sauce was of Italian origin not knowing that it originated from Catalonia (Spain) and had been created to be served with fish.
A simple sauce very similar to the Roasted Pepper Pesto that can be found in my blog. Similar way of making the pesto, just done differently. Again, a popular sauce that can be served as a dip, a sauce or a spread.
1 red bell pepper (capsicum)
4 tablespoon tomato puree
1/4 cup ground almonds
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (cayenne pepper)
1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil
salt & pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
- Prepare the bell pepper as Roasted Bell Peppers (Capsicum) recipe
- Place the roasted pepper and the rest of the ingredients into a mini food processor and puree until smooth.
- How much oil you add depends very much on the size of the bell pepper as well as what you want to use this sauce for.
- Don’t add so much oil if you want to use it as a dip. More oil needs to be added if you want to use it on pasta or pizza.
- Taste and add more salt & pepper if you prefer.