When you’ve tasted a simple Danish tuna salad and it stays with you years after you’ve had it.
When you remember how much you like it and think you can replicate it.
Of course, it would not be the same as you were not the one that made the salad that created such a lasting impression. You can, however, adapt what you remember the taste & ingredients that was in that long ago salad you had. I really cannot remember when I had it, I do remember it was for a fundraising event, a yearly event, organised by the St William’s Catholic Church in Tortola, British Virgin Islands. The venue? Maria’s By the Sea Hotel. The Dane, a female dentist.
Now for my version.
Nordic Tuna Salad
Ingredients: serves 2
1 can flaked or chunked tuna
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or others, optional)
Generous amount of olive oil
salt & pepper
- Peel & dice the potatoes & carrots into chunks. Cook them in salted water. Drain (the water away) when cooked & place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the can of tuna, brine or water as well.
- Thinly slice the shallots & add to the tuna.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into the bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss to mix and serve with or without tomatoes.