A continuation to the Korean BBQ theme that was had for the Chinese New Year 2021.
Another new favourite to be added in place of a raita or tzatiki. Basically a ‘cooling’ salad or relish to take the heat off some of the spiciness of the BBQ.
Korean cuisine favours lots of soya sauce (ganjang), sugar (seoltang) and chilli pepper (goju) and as such, if you prefer it less spicy, add less chilli pepper. Increase the amount of chilli pepper should you prefer the heat.
Oi Muchim (Spicy Cucumber Salad)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon red chilli pepper flakes
2 tablespoon sliced spring onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Slice the cucumber into rounds of about 5mm or 1/4″ thickness.
- Coat the cucumber with the salt, mixing it as much as you can and leave for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain the liquids from the cucumber. Do not be tempted to squeeze any more liquid from the cucumbers!
- Throw in the rest of the ingredients and mix it all up.
- If you find that it is not spicy enough, add another tablespoon of chilli flakes.
- Chill in the fridge before serving.