Have you searched online for Lemon Butter Chicken just to see who has cooked it and how they cook it?
I thought I would do that before trying out a new combination or a twist to a Jamie Oliver Chicken in Milk recipe. What did I find? Lots and lots of options and yet, not what I wanted. I didn’t want to use chicken thighs or cream or parmesan. Nor did I want to pan fry the chicken and all that stuff, (well, maybe not for this time) before sticking it in the oven to cook.
What to do? Combine a bit of both and mix what I think would work and I must say it really did. Very tasty especially after being complimented by the man of the house – not once but twice!!
Yet another a quick and easy cook!
Lemon Butter Chicken
1.5 kg whole chicken
50-60g unsalted butter, softened
salt & black pepper
1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- Preheat oven to 190ºC (375ºF)
- Place chicken in a baking dish. Rub in the salt & pepper on both sides of the chicken and the cavity.
- Get ready to get buttery. Rub the butter onto both sides of the chicken, placing some nobs of butter in the cavity & if you can, under the skin of the chicken especially the breast area. Rub it in.
- Make sure the chicken is on the baking dish breast side up.
- Sprinkle generously with the dried thyme.
- Zest strips of the lemon skin onto the chicken. Cut the lemon in half & squeeze the juice over and around the chicken.
- Pour the milk around the chicken. You will notice that the milk starts to curdle from the reaction to the acidity of the lemon juice. It’s like butter milk or cottage cheese.
- Bake the chicken for 1 1/2 hours.
- Allow to cool before carving. Reserve the curds to cook with the spinach.
- Served with baked potato, oven caramelised carrots & creamed spinach.
- Spoon juice over the chicken.