When you are cooking stew, do you get – I need a change in the recipe – moments? I do. Trying to incorporate other proteins into your meals? Will the rest of the family like it?
Lentils & beans are part of the Legumes family and are a good source of protein and fiber. It is also a good alternative to red meat.
Ingredients: serves 2-3
600g beef stew cubes
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 1/2 cups red lentils
1/2 cup canned kidney beans
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 beef cube
2-3 carrots, chunked
- Cut up the beef cubes into 1-1 1/2″ cubes for quicker cooking.
- Fry the onion, garlic & celery in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the beef cubes & fry till the sides are cooked.
- Add in the can of tomatoes & enough water to cover the beef. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to simmer.
- Simmer with lid on till the beef is tender, about 45 minutes more or less.
- Add the beef cube, carrots, lentils & kidney beans. Add more water if needed to just cover all the ingredients.
- Add in a sprinkling (about 1 teaspoon) of thyme.
- Simmer till the carrots are cooked.
- Add about a teaspoon of salt & ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, pasta or with slices of sourdough bread. Your choice is not limited to what is suggested.
- Bon Appetit!