This humble fish, packed with health benefits, also packs a strong smell during cooking. My combination of Japanese miso with shreds of ginger & spring onions helps to mask the smell and helps to enhance the flavour of this fish.
Miso Grilled Saba / Saikyo-yaki Saba
3 Spanish Mackerels (fresh or frozen)
1-2″ ginger thinly sliced & shredded
3 stalks spring onions, julienned
1 tablespoon miso
Dash of oil
- Slice mackerel in half lengthwise, remove the core bone if using fresh mackerel.
- Dry the mackerel as best as you can.
- Spread the miso paste on the white fleshy part of the fish. Place on alumiunium foil to prevent the fish from breaking & flaking during grilling.
- Sprinkle the shredded ginger & julienned spring onions liberally over the tops of the fish.
- Drizzle the oil over the fish.
- Bake in 200ºC (400ºF) oven for about 8-10 minutes. Bake on top rack and do keep an eye on the fish to ensure it does burn.
- Served with or without white rice or with sides of marinated shimeji mushrooms & lightly pickled red cabbage.