Testing out your own recipe to see if it works – again – can be time consuming. I have to acknowledge that different countries with different climates and different ingredient sources do make a big difference in how it all turns out.
The adage of Just follow the recipe, does not always work. When I lived in the Caribbean, the climate was drier and less humid compared to Singapore. The source of ingredients available is also different. Flours, sugar, baking powders, etc sold or from the USA is different from from those from the Asia Pacific regions. This is true also for meats and vegetables.
This is not the best result of the previous traditional pizza bases that I am truly happy with, I can only hope that someone living in a different country and climate will experience better results from this recipe.
Traditional Pizza Base
2-1/4 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 packet (2-1/4 teaspoon) instant yeast
- Place the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Mix it up a bit and leave aside.
- Add the sugar and yeast into the warm water. Allow the yeast to dissolve and bubble. When it bubbles, you know the yeast is alive.
- Add the yeast mixture into the flour.
- Mix till it comes into a ball.
The next part will be interesting as there are two ways you can make this base.
- Oil the ball of dough, cover the mixing bowl and allow the yeast to rise for about 45 – 60 minutes.
- Punch down the dough, roll to desired size.
- Bake as you would in the Pizza – Thin crust
- Flour the surface and roll the dough out to fit the desired pizza pan size. You might need to flour the dough as well to prevent it from sticking to the surface.
- Top with your preferred sauce, toppings. I used Roasted Pepper Pesto as the sauce and topped with the usual shredded mozzarella & leftover chicken pieces from our wraps.
- Cold bake – you put your pizza into the cold oven, turn the oven to 200°C/400°F and bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes.
One thought on “Traditional Pizza Base”
I tried out this pizza base recipe and it turned out delicious!!! So thick and spongy which was absolutely perfect! It didn’t take very long and it made for a nice treat for my friend and I, I highly recommend this recipe.