This recipe makes 4-9″ diameter pie crusts. Quick & easy & freezable.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter (margarine, Crisco or other types of shortening works) – cold
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar (imitation, distilled or even apple cider vinegar works)
- 2 tablespoon cold water (cold from the fridge. If you don’t have cold water, just add ice cubes to some water)
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder) into a bowl. (Sieving helps to mix it up and you can spot any lumps that need to be removed.
- Cut butter into cubes about 1/2″, add into the dry ingredients.
- Using your fingers or a pastry blender, mix the cold butter into the dry ingredients until they resemble bread crumbs.
- Crack egg into a bowl, add vinegar & water and lightly whisk till the yolk is liquid (wet mixture).
- Add the wet mixture to the crumbs. Mix well till combined.
- Separate into 4 portions. If freezing, cover each portion in cling wrap (food film) before storing in the freezer.
TO USE:- simply roll to desired size, no need to chill for 30 minutes before use. To use frozen portions, defrost in fridge till it is no longer frozen and use accordingly.