Yet another recipe to add to the many variations to a basic Banana Sponge Cake / Loaf.
Banana Cranberry Cake
- 1 cup mashed bananas (ripened bananas)
- 1 cup sugar (3/4 cups if using brown sugar)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 2 cups plain flour (all purpose) (whole wheat is optional)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten (removed from shells)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon banana essence or vanilla essence (you can omit the essence if you are using fully ripened bananas)
- Sieve dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) into a mixing bowl. (A quick way is to combine these ingredients in a plastic bag and shake it up to mix!)
- In another mixing bowl, beat eggs & sugar until light & fluffy.
- Add in oil. Mix well.
- Add in the mashed bananas and mix so the banana is well combined with the rest of the wet mix.
- Add dry mixture 1/2 cup at a time to the egg mixture.
- Add dried cranberries & walnuts (if using) for a last mix.
- Pour cake mix into greased 8″ loaf pans (3/4 full, you might be able to get 2 or 3 loaves) or a greased 8″ (20cm) cake pan.
- Oven should be preheated to 375º F or 180º C for 10 minutes.
- Bake loaf pans for about 35 minutes or until the sides leave the pans. To test if the loaves are cooked, insert a cake tester or skewer into the centre of the loaf. It is cooked, if the tester or skewer comes out clean.
* To make into muffins – line a 12-cup muffin pan with liner. Fill cups 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
** Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins – substitute cranberries & walnuts with chocolate chips, about 1/2 cup. Fill muffin cups 1/3 full, sprinkle some chocolate chips. Top with batter till about 2/3 full, sprinkle more chocolate chips on top. Bake as for muffins.