From a visit to my dentist telling me not to eat nuts even Pistachios, which are my favourtie came this cake. If I can’t eat the nut in it’s original form to save my teeth from further damage caused by age, etc., I should be able to eat some form of it, right?
ABSOLUTELY! I just needed to get myself a cheap food mill or coffee bean grinder. This would be a much better gadget to use in place of a big capacity food processor or a mini food processor. Why? It was made to grind whole grains into a pulp or flour in less time, especially if you are not going industrial and making huge quantities unless you are running a business that uses vast quantities of pistachio flour or others.
Back to our cake, this recipe is a copy of my Almond Cake just changing to the use of ground pistachios versus ground almonds.
125g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
2/3 cups sugar
1 cup shelled pistachios
1/2 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
1 teaspoon lemon or vanilla essence
zest of one (1) orange
chopped pistachios for decoration
icing sugar (about 1/2-1 teaspoon) for dusting
- Grind the pistachios in the food mill till almost finely ground, it’s fine if some bits are bigger.
- Leave aside 1 tablespoon of the ground pistachios for the decoration or you can chopped up a few pistachios later.
- Beat the butter & sugar till light & creamy
- Add lemon essence & orange zest and beat to mix.
- Add eggs, one at a time, till it comes together.
- Stir in the ground pistachios & flour, in parts & fold to mix into the batter.
- Pour into a greased & lined 6″ deep cake tin for a higher cake.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 180ºC (375ºF) for about 30-45 minutes depending on the size of cake tin you have used.
- Check if cake is done – skewer in & out is clean, your cake is done or if the cake leaves the sides of the cake tin, it’s done.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. First, you have to turn the cake out of the tin, remove any parchment or baking paper that you may have used.
- Once cool, dust the icing sugar (best is with a sieve) and top with the chopped pistachios.