I know this should have been posted before Christmas since I used this recipe to make Mince pies. However, since this pastry can be used any time, it deserves to be posted and shared.
This is a good short crust pastry for individual small pies.
Ingredients: makes about 24 individual small pies
2 cups plain flour (all-purpose)
150g unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon white sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons cold water
- Place the flour, salt & sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix it all up.
- Dice the cold butter and add to the dry ingredients. Using your fingertips or pastry cutter, mix the butter & flour together till it resembles breadcrumbs or lumps. Try and make sure all the pieces of butter is mixed in.
- Add the cold water to the egg yolks and give it a little whisk to break up the yolks. You can use a fork or spoon, no need to use the egg whisk.
- Add that to the flour & butter mixture. Mix till it forms a smooth dough, then stop. Do not over knead, as it causes the dough to be tough not flaky.
- Place the dough in a bag or cling wrap. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes before use for easier handling.