Had a request from my daughter for the steps on how to make Beef Stew and I thought I had already posted on my blog, which I did not.
Ingredients: serves 6
1 large onion, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced
6 cloves garlic, skin removed
1.2 kg (about 2.5lbs) beef cubes for stewing or chuck tender diced to approximately 3cm (1″) **Note: The beef will cook quicker if the cubes are smaller but you don’t want it to disappear after it is cooked.
1 beef stock cube
1/2 cup red wine (optional)
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (you can use other types of vinegar)
2 tomatoes, chopped (optional)
1 can red kidney beans, drained (optional)
1/2 cup lentils, washed (optional)
1/2 cup pearl barley, washed (optional)
6-8 potatoes, quartered
2 medium sized carrots, peeled & cut into chunks
Herbs (dried/fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano, 1 bay leaf)
salt & pepper
1) Fry onion & celery in some oil till onion is clear
2) Add beef and fry till browned on all sides
3) Add beef stock or enough water to cover the beef
4) Add the balsamic vinegar, tomatoes & barley if using.
5) Add the herbs and boil for about 10 minutes.
6) Lower the heat to simmer. It will take about 45-60 minutes for the beef to be tender.
7) Once the beef is tender, add in the vegetables, lentils & kidney beans if using.
8) Once the carrots & potatoes are soft, you can add in the thickener.
9) To make the thickener, mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with some water and add to the stew. Let it boil for a bit, stir to mix evenly.