This makes 18 large cookies or more for smaller ones. It all depends on what you think is the right size or rather what cookie/ice-cream scoop size you have on hand. Just know that these cookies expand during baking.
2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour or plain/all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon powser
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1-1/2 cups quick cooking oats
227g (8 oz) unsalted butter, melted
1-1/2 cups light brown sugar (1-1/4 cups if using demerara sugar)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup raisins
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix all the dry ingredients except for the sugar, walnuts & raisins together in a mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs lightly with the sugar until the mixture feels light.
- Add the melted butter, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough with an ice-cream scoop or cookie scoop, level the scoop, don’t put in too much.
- Place on ungreased cookie tray leaving enough space for the cookie to expand in size during baking.
- Bake in preheated 175ºC (350ºF) oven for 14-16 minutes for large cookies, 12-14 minutes for small/medium cookies.
Recipe makes about 18 large cookies.