This recipe was adapted from a recipe in one of the numerous cook books that I have and which I have found to be a winner, for me, at least. I have made these cookies for sale in bake sales and for a Caribbean Coffee Shoppe and they have been received with good reviews.
This makes 18 large cookies or more for smaller ones. It all depends on what you think is the right size or rather what cookie/ice-cream scoop size you have on hand. Just know that these cookies expand during baking.
Margaret's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour or plain/all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 cups quick cooking oats
227g (8 oz) unsalted butter, melted
1-1/2 cups light brown sugar (1-1/4 cups if using demerara sugar)
1/2 cups chocolate chips (I don’t use more than half cup as it would otherwise be overly sweet and unhealthy)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix all the dry ingredients except for the sugar & chocolate chips) together in a mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs lightly with the sugar until the mixture feels light.
- Add the melted butter, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with the chocolate chips.
- Scoop cookie dough with an ice-cream scoop or cookie scoop, level the scoop, don’t put in too much.
- Place on ungreased cookie tray leaving enough space for the cookie to expand in size during baking.
- Bake in preheated 175ºC (350ºF) oven for 14-16 minutes for large cookies, 12-14 minutes for small/medium cookies.
2 thoughts on “Margaret’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies”