Ingredients: serves 1
1 ripe avocado
pinch of salt & pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 red onion, chopped (optional)
1 tomato, deseeded & chopped (optional)
small bunch of coriander, chopped (optional)
- Remove the pit from the avocado, scoop the flesh & place in a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, salt & pepper & mash well. The avocado does not need to be mashed fine, a chunky guacamole is quite nice.
- Mix in the onion, tomato & coriander if you are using.
- Taste and add more salt or lemon juice to required taste.
As a spread
- in pita bread for a light snack or meal
- add 1/4 cup olive oil to the avocado, salt & pepper mix on sandwiches
- on pizza as a base or a vegetarian calzone
As a dip, served with
- Julienne (cut like thick matchsticks) celery sticks, carrots, cucumbers
- Florets of broccoli, cauliflower (lightly blanched)
- Triangles of toasted pita bread (cut the pita bread into segments, pizza style and toast)