Potatoes, depending on the type you use: If you are using
Creaming potatoes (which are nice with this dish) about 4-5 medium sized
Russet potatoes (which are somewhat drier and more for baked potatoes) about 1-2
Holland potatoes, are similar to the creaming potatoes
Onions, yellow/white 1-2 bulbs
Parmesan cheese, grated 1/4 cup
milk, 1/4 cup
salt & pepper to taste
- Peel & slice the potatoes thinly. As thin as you can.
- Cut & slice onions. Fry in some oil till transparent or caramelised.
- Prepare the shortcrust pastry to fit in your pie/tart dish. Prick holes in the bottoms & sides. Keep refrigerated so your pastry stays firm.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (400ºF).
- Beat egg till it feels light.
- Add milk and beat till frothy.
- Take out the pie/tart dish from the fridge. Layer potatoes & onions on the pastry.
- Add parmesan, salt & pepper to the egg/milk mixture, give a good stir to mix it up. Pour over the potatoes/onions mixture.
- Stick the dish in the oven for 20-25 minutes & test whether it is done with the skewer test.