Almond Torte or Almond Cake for dessert? Yes, please.
This easy and quick recipe is a definite keeper. Dairy Free, Gluten Free.
Flourless Almond Orange Slice
3 cups ground almonds
3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup fine sugar
1 teaspoon lemon or orange essence
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (375ºF)
- Greased and line a brownie pan or baking tray 11″x7″ (28x18cm). Allow some overhang of the baking/parchment paper for easier removal of the cake.
- Zest and juice the orange.
- Place egg whites in a mixing bowl and whip till whites are stiff.
- Add sugar in 3 lots to the whites while beating.
- Remove the egg whites to a separate mixing bowl OR use another mixing bowl to beat the egg yolks.
- Beat egg yolks, orange juice & essence in a separate mixing bowl till the yolks are runny & slightly thick.
- Add the almond flour, ground cardamom & orange zest to the egg yolks and mix with a spoon.
- Add 1/3 of the egg whites to the egg yolks mixture. Fold lightly to incorporate all the egg white.
- Add the rest of the egg whites and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into the greased tray and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove & cool on rack.
- You can choose to leave it as is or decorate with icing sugar & sliced almonds on top before cutting.
NOTE: You can change to use a 6″ round cake tin instead of the brownie tray. Cook time is about the same.