Having decided to make Meatloaf did I check on it’s origins. What I thought was a traditional English dish has it’s origins from ancient Roman times.
It has become a traditional food in many countries. Hackbraten in Germany and Köttfärslimpa in Sweden, what is it known as in your country?
Instead of going with the norm of using bread slices soaked in milk, as it reminded me of how Stuffing is usually made, I used breadcrumbs from my homemade Herman breads and my homemade Chicken Stock.
Ingredients : makes a 9″ loaf, serves 4
600g (21 oz or 1.3 lbs) Beef mince
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon sugar
- Mix all the ingredients together. Best way is to squish it all together with your hands.
- Grease a 9″ loaf pan, preheat the oven to 175ºC (350ºF)
- Place the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan.
- Mix the ingredients for the topping & spread over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove and allow to rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the loaf pan – careful of the juices. Slice before serving with mashed potatoes and a salad.