According to the internet, enchiladas are traditionally made using corn tortillas. Because I wanted to make flour Tortilla, we will use the ones that I made.
We have been having wet raining days as well as having to use up my shredded cheddar cheese stock, it felt like a good time to make enchiladas for a meal.
Ingredients: serves 3-4
For the filling:
300g mince beef
1 onion, chopped finely
1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
salt to taste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
For the enchilada sauce:
about 3/4 cups tomato puree (canned)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare the filling first. Fry the onion in some oil and add the mince when the onion turns translucent.
- Add the herbs & spices when the beef is cooked.
- Lightly grease an ovenproof dish.
- Roll some of the filling into the tortillas and place on the dish. I folded the tortillas into half and placed them onto the dish, topped with the filling.
- Next step is to cook the sauce. Just bring the tomato puree & dried oregano to a light boil, add the sugar (to take away the acidity of the tomatoes).
- Remove from heat when it starts to boil. Ladle over the tops of the tortillas.
- Top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 200ºC (400ºF) for 20-30 minutes or when the cheese has melted and is bubbling slightly.
- Serve with salad greens and whatever you fancy.
One thought on “Enchilada”