I have been thinking of this version of fried rice and had been patiently waiting for the pineapple to ripen before making this dish.
Pineapple rice is usually associated with Thai food with a sprinkling of coriander, peanuts & pork floss over it.
Fried rice came about from not being wasteful and using up any leftover rice from the night or day before. This version is served/fried with leftover shredded chicken.
Ingredients: serves 2-4
1 ripe pineapple (1 cup pineapple chunks)
2 cups cooked rice
1/2 of an onion
1/2 cup shredded chicken
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
- First is to cut and hollow out the pineapple. You want to reserve the chunks and juice for later use. You will need to remove the thick stem that is found in the middle of the pineapple. I hope the short video below will help you on how to cut the pineapple so you can use it as a receptacle.
- Mix the soy sauce, fish sauce & sugar in a small bowl. The sugar will help to cut out any acidity from the soy & fish sauce.
- Slice the onions. Fry in some oil.
- Add in the rice and fry for a little bit.
- Add the pineapple chunks (just 1 bowl) and most of the shredded chicken. Just keep a handful of the shredded chicken for the topping.
- Now add the sauce mix and some pineapple juice into the rice.
- Fry till it comes together and is well mixed.
- Serve up into the hollowed-out pineapple and sprinkle some chopped coriander and the rest of the shredded chicken over the top. You can also top with some chopped peanuts if you like.