Almonds are good for your health, everyone says that it is especially good for the well being of your heart.
What are the Health Benefits of Almonds?
Benefits from eating almonds are high but with all things, too much is not good for you. Careful inclusion and eating of almonds could give you what is needed for maintaining a healthier you.
So although the brown skin of the almonds contain the antioxidants and fibre, they have been removed so that almond milk can be made. I will definitely save the skins from the next batch of almond milk that I make and use them with my baking.
Why Almond milk? Again benefits of drinking almond milk far outweigh that of dairy, especially if you are interested in maintaining a healthier lifestyle and also when you have a husband who wants to make the switch. Knowing that what you buy is diluted and although enriched, I decided to try my hand in making it. At least, I know that I can and have done it. Time consuming yet satisfying.
I am also making use of the almond grounds and making it into Almond Flour which can be used for baking Macarons, Almond Torte, pie crusts and so on.
Let’s get started.
1 cup (about 146g or 8oz) raw almonds
2 cups water for soaking almonds
2 cups drinking water
- Soak raw almonds in 2 cups water overnight.
- Remove skin from almonds.
- Blend almonds with 2 cups of drinking water.
- Place muslin cloth or bag into a microwave safe receptacle (container) large enough to contain 3-4 cups.
- Pour the blended almonds into the muslin cloth.
- Squeeze to extract the milk.
- Cover top of container of almond milk with cling wrap. Microwave on high for 2 minutes as this helps to pasteurise the milk for a longer shelf life. Alternatively, you can steam it for 8-10 minutes.
Do not discard the almond grits.
Method for making Almond flour:
- Line a cookie / baking tray with parchment paper
- Spread the almond grits onto the parchment paper.
- Bake in preheated oven of 100ºC (210ºF) for an hour to an hour and a half or until the grits feel dry when cooled.
- If the grits still feel damp, bake a little longer.
- Allow to cool before placing in food processor to grind to powder.
- Store in a bag in a cool place.