The ingredients used are simple and good for a beginner to practice on. Practice, practice and practice and you will get it right. When you feel confident enough, you can start to play around with other combinations of ingredients. Have fun!
Ingredients for Sushi Vinegar : makes about 1/2 cup
6 tablespoon white rice vinegar
4 tablespoon white sugar
2 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Rolled Omelette:
1 tablespoon of sake or dry white wine
1 tablespoon of water
1 tablespoon of sugar (can be reduced to taste)
Ingredients for California Roll : makes 4 rolls
1 1/2 cup sushi rice
1 tablespoon Sushi Vinegar
1/2 Japanese cucumber or English cucumber
4 crab sticks
4 sheets of sushi nori
Making Sushi Vinegar :
- Place ingredients for sushi vinegar into a saucepan. Heat till the salt & sugar is dissolved, do not boil. Remove and allow to cool before storing in a bottle or jar for future use.
Making the Rolled Omelette:
- Beat eggs with other ingredients.
- Heat saucepan (rectangle pan for tamago) with some oil.
- Pour 1/3 of egg mix into saucepan. Start turning the omelette into a roll in the saucepan.
- Pour another 1/2 of the remaining egg mix into the saucepan. Lift the earlier roll up and allow some of the added egg mix to cook under the 1st portion.
- Roll the 1st portion in the opposite direction to pick up the cooking egg mix. You will then have a bigger egg roll in the saucepan.
- Pour the rest of the egg mix into the saucepan and repeat the above step.
- Remove and allow to cool before slicing.
Note to self: This needs a video, time to enlist my other half!
Making the California Maki:
- Cook the sushi rice according to instructions. Add a tablespoon of the vinegar after cooking. Mix well and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Remove seeds from cucumber and slice into thinner lengths.
- Cut the crab sticks into strips.
- Place 1 sheet of sushi nori on the sushi mat.
- Using wet spoon or rice scoop, spread rice on the nori. Leave about 1cm from the top and bottom edges of the nori. Do not put too much.
- Place half of the ingredients onto the rice.
- Using the mat, roll the end closest to you over the rice/ingredients. Pressing lightly as you roll to the other end.
- Press to seal and you have your first roll.
- Repeat for the rest of the nori.
- To cut, you need a sharp knife and a damp paper towel.
- Slice your sushi/maki into 8 pieces. The paper towel is to be used after each cut as it helps to clean the knife of the stickiness from the rice.