Hot weather Cold noodles. This dish is perfect as a side or as a whole meal itself.
You can serve the vegetables as a side to the somen or you can mix it with the somen. Both taste just as good, to me.
Ingredients: serves 2
Somen noodles (2 portions)
Shimeji mushrooms, 1 punnet each of white & brown
Asparagus (about 250g or 1/2 lb)
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon Japanese noodle soy sauce
black & white sesame seeds
- Slice asparagus into 3cm or about an inch pieces. Rinse and blanch in salted water. Remove and rinse with cold water. Place in mixing bowl.
- Break apart the Shimeji mushrooms and blanch them in the water used for the asparagus. Place in mixing bowl with the asparagus.
- Mix together the rice vinegar, sugar & soy sauce.
- Pour over the vegetables and toss to mix. Sprinkle the black & white sesame seeds over.
- Cook somen according to the instructions.
- Place the cold somen into the vegetable mix. Toss and serve.
- The somen salad mix can be kept in the fridge to cool or overnight.