Flour (plain, all-purpose) 1 cup
Butter 1/4 cup
Sugar, white 1/3 cup
Milk 2 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (375ºF)
- Mix flour & sugar in a bowl.
- Add butter & mix with the flour & sugar till it is crumbly. You can use a pastry cutter or your fingertips. Mix should look sort of like breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and gently mix into the crumbs till it all comes together in a sort of lump. Don’t overwork the pastry.
- Spread the pastry onto a UNgreased pan. This is just a small batch, so it might not fill the whole pan. Try and get at least a 1-1.5cm (1/2″) height on the pastry.
- Lightly cut the surface with a knife or pastry knife to the desired size – rectangle or square. Prick with a fork to allow an even cook throughout the shortbread.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Allow to cool on rack for at least 10 minutes before cutting the shortbread.
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of matcha powder to turn this into a Matcha Shortbread.
- Double the ingredients if this batch is not enough for a snack.
- You can also add sliced nuts or dried fruits for a healthy snack.
- Add chopped pistachios & dried cranberries with matcha powder for a power packed shortbread (above photo)