Eggplant, brinjal or aubergine? Same family different names as well as being related to the tomato, chilli pepper and potato.
I have been adding the eggplant in many recent dishes, mainly because my daughter has said that she eats eggplant!!
This is my first foray into cooking a vegetarian lasagna using the eggplant sans beef. I do hope you will like it as much as we did.
What I would do is to increase the amount of pasta sauce I used and also not use the Barilla brand of lasagna sheets as they take a longer time to cook as compared to the De Cecco brand of lasagna sheets or even pasta. The Papa Alfredo brand of pasta & pasta sauces are my typical go-to buys except that they don’t sell the lasagna sheets for Papa Alfredo brand.
Eggplant & Tofu Lasagna
Lasagna sheets (about 6 sheets)
2 large eggplants or 5/6 pearl brinjals
1 block of soft tofu (about 300g)
1 cup pasta sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut off the top off the eggplants/brinjals. The part where the stem (green thingy) grows.
- Slice the eggplants/brinjals either lengthwise or in rounds of about 1cm (3/8″) thickness.
- Place the eggplants/brinjals on baking trays or in a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle salt over both sides of the eggplants/brinjals if using the baking trays. Toss the eggplants/brinjals in salt if using the mixing bowl. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes. This will help the eggplants/brinjals to ‘sweat’ and lose some moisture as well as some bitterness.
- Do a quick rinse off on the eggplants/brinjals. Pat dry, as much as possible. Do not wring or squeeze the moisture out of the eggplants/brinjals.
- Grease a lasagna baking dish or a rectangular dish.
- Pan fry the eggplants/brinjals in some oil till they are translucent or slightly browned around the edges.
- Mash the soft tofu into a mixing bowl. Add in the pasta sauce and cheeses. Mix well.
- Place a layer of lasagna sheets at the bottom of the dish. Top with a layer of the pasta sauce. Top with a layer of eggplant/brinjals.
- Repeat till all the pasta sauce & eggplant is used up. Press down lightly to allow the pasta sauce to cover the lasagna sheets completely.
- Add more pasta sauce if it seems too dry.
- Top with more mozzarella/cheddar cheese.
- Baked for 40-45 minutes in a preheated oven of 180ºC / 350ºF.