There appears to be an abundance of Blueberries in the supermarkets in the recent months.
Besides making Blueberry Streusel Muffins, I thought I will make my sister her favourite Blueberry Pie. This time around, I used the fresh berries instead of the freshly frozen berries or homemade jam.
Ingredients: makes 1-9″ covered pie
1 portion of Short Crust Pastry (Sweet)
3 punnets (about 125g each) of fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup plain flour
- Roll out one half of the sweet pastry to fit in the greased pie dish.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes in preheated 200ºC (400ºF) oven. (To blind bake, place a sheet of parchment paper on top of pastry, fill almost to brim of pie dish with rice or baking beads or beans)
- Remove the parchment paper and allow pastry to cool.
- Place all the blueberries into the pie dish (on top of the baked pastry)
- Mix sugar & flour together and sprinkle all over the tops of the blueberries.
- Remove the other half of the sweet pastry from the fridge and roll out to a thickness of about 5mm (1/4″).
- Using a pastry cutter, cut out circles and lay them on top of the blueberries, overlapping each circle.
- Continue until you have covered the whole dish or when you are out of pastry. Make the necessary adjustments so that you have enough to cover.
- Bake in preheated 200ºC (400ºF) oven for 20-30 minutes. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Leave to cool and dust with icing sugar before serving with your favourite ice-cream flavour!