Because I didn’t want to pay the price for store bought cornflakes, I thought if I could find a recipe for it, I would try to make it.
I finally took the time to try out Homemade Healthy Alternative Cornflakes tonight.
I did find it too thick and perhaps could have added more liquids and split the mixture into 2 trays instead of one.
This recipe would be good for Taco chips without the sugar and chopped nuts. Another on the list to make.
Ingredients: 1 serving
1 cup Cornmeal
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
chopped nuts, about 3 tablespoonsful
- Mix cornmeal, sugar & salt in a bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup of water and mix till it is like a pancake mix.
- Add more water if needed, by the teaspoon or tablespoon.
- Pour the mixture onto a baking tray with baking paper on it.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the top of the mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 175ºC (350ºF).
- Remove tray from oven.
- Reduce oven heat to 130ºC (250ºF)
- Break the baked corn into bite-sized pieces. (I just a pizza cutter to roll over while it was hot before breaking it by hand when it had cooled down to a more manageable heat)
- Bake for 40 minutes.
Tried having it for breakfast – very chewy and disappointing. I will need to try and see if mixing it into a more liquid form would get it closer to the thickness & texture of what the store-bought ones taste like.
On the other side, it could probably be a good taco chips except you do need to keep it once it has cooled down before it goes soft.