Red onions – 4 to 5 bulbs (or more if you love onions)
Parmesan cheese, grated 1/2 cup
1 egg, beaten
milk, 1/4 cup
salt & pepper to taste
- Cut off top/bottom of onion, remove 1-layer of skin. Slice the onions about 1-1.5cm (1/2″) thick.
- Cook the onions with some oil till they are nicely browned & fragrant. Leave aside to cool.
- Prepare the shortcrust pastry. Roll out to fit a pie or tart dish. Prick the bottom & sides of the pastry with a fork, this will help to even out the cooking of the pastry during baking. Trim off any excess and keep the pie dish refrigerated until ready for use. (especially if you live in a hot or humid place)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF).
- Beat the egg till it feels light, add the milk & beat till it is frothy.
- Take the pie/tart dish out of the fridge, layer the onions on the pastry.
- Add the parmesan, salt & pepper to the egg/milk mixture, give it a stir for a nice mix. Pour over the onions.
- Stick the dish in the preheated oven & bake for about 20-25 minutes. Check that it is cook by using the skewer test – stick the skewer into the dish, it comes out clean, it’s done!