Shortcrust Pastry – 1 portion
Spinach leaves – 2 bunches, washed
Garlic – 1 clove
Onion – 1, diced
Bacon – 4-5 strips, fried (for Quiche Lorraine)
Eggs – 3
Milk – 1/2 cup
Grated Parmesan cheese – 1/2 cup
- Cook the Spinach : Fry the garlic & onion in some oil, add spinach leaves, sprinkle some salt & stir fry till the leaves have wilted. Take off from heat, drain liquids & let cool.
*If making Quiche Lorraine, fry the bacon strips first. Fry the garlic, onion & spinach in the bacon oil.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (400ºF).
- Roll the shortcrust pastry to fit a 20cm (8″) pie or 23cm (9″) flan dish
- Prick holes on the bottom & sides of pastry so that the pastry does not puff
- Layer the cooked spinach on top of the pastry.
- If making Quiche Lorraine, cut the cooked bacon strips into small bits and sprinkle over the spinach.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs till it feels light. Add the milk & parmesan cheese to the eggs and mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over the spinach/bacon, taking care not to fill to the top of the pie or flan dish.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes till the egg is cooked through.
- Leave to cool before serving.